Requesting New Supplier

New supplier set ups are requested by raising a ticket on the Foodbuy Helpdesk. The Customer Experience team (CET) check whether the supplier is required and if there are no other already approved suppliers who could provide the required product/service instead.


Unsuccessful Requests

If the request has been rejected Customer Experience team (CET) will recommend an alternative supplier to the unit.


Successful Requests

If the request has been accepted by the Customer Experience team (CET) they will assign the ticket to the Non-Food Vender Assurance inbox on helpdesk. This ticket must have the following conditions:

  • Approval by the Category Development Manager/ Karl Atkins
  • Foodbuy Grading Compliance has been provided
  • Confirmation of Set up by Customer Experience team (CET)
  • Completed AVL is attached
  • Agreed Terms & Conditions & CBC


Third Party Integrity Due Diligence (TPIDD)

All third parties that we engage with are required to be put through our Third-party Risk Management approach using a tool provided by OneTrust for the identification, assessment, mitigation and monitoring of associated integrity risks.


Supplier Evaluation Questionnaire (SEQ)

Depending on the type of supplier request, some suppliers are required to complete a Supplies, Equipment and Services (SES) SEQ and submit supporting documentation. There are a few exceptions such as Out of Scope, IT Suppliers and Self-employed suppliers.


All new supplier set ups have a folder created in the Vendor Assurance folders and all corresponding emails and documents are saved within. This includes the SEQ, SSIP and insurance documents.


For those who have returned a completed questionnaire, it is assessed by the Vendor Assurance Team to determine if the supplier has suitable HSE/ SSIP accreditation and insurance for the work that they are conducting according to the values in the Contractor Categorisation Process table below.


If suppliers do not complete the SEQ or do not hold the required HSE or Insurance, then a note is placed on the ticket to state that they cannot be set up without the information. The ticket is reassigned back to Customer Experience team (CET) asking them to contact the requester to explain why the supplier is not approved for use.


Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) Tax check

If the supplier conducts or could conduct construction work on site then their Supplier Name, Company Registration Number and Unique Tax reference is sent to the Tax team to verify the suppliers Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) status with HMRC for reporting purposes. These suppliers are set up with a 6 digit vendor number and not a 5 digit vendor number.


Self Employed HMRC Tool Tax check

If the supplier is self-employed the Unit/ Requester must complete the HMRC self-employed tool and get it signed by their sector HR. The output of the tool is sent onto the Head of Tax to verify if they are happy with the result. If the supplier is determined to be acting as self-employed, they will need to be sent an Supplier Determination Statement (SDS) and continue setting them up following the standard process. If they are not self-employed Vendor Assurance will advise on the helpdesk ticket for the unit to set them up as a member of staff through the normal HR process.


IT Suppliers

All IT suppliers are required to be assessed by both Solutions Delivery and Information Security. The approvals are required to be obtained prior to sending through the request to be set up. Once the ticket comes through with the approvals attached Vendor Assurance will set up the supplier through the normal process.



Contractor Categorisation Process

High Risk Supplier:


A technical contractor who visits site/s to perform a task i.e., Construction or Hard Services.


It is a requirement to be registered to both a SSIP scheme accreditation.


Minimum £10 million Public Liability Insurance required.


 High risk definition detail

1.       Does the contractor/sub-contractor undertake any work required by statutory regulation? e.g., gas, water treatment, electrical work

Work required by statutory regulation may include but not be limited to the following:

Electrical installations Electrical testing

Emergency lighting PAT testing

Fire alarm systems Wet/dry risers

Fire fighting equipment Fire protection systems

Lifts and lifting equipment Access systems

Pressure vessels HVAC systems

Gas installations Gas testing

Water treatment Water testing

Asbestos inspection/maintenance/removal


2.       Do the contractor/sub-contractor’s operatives require any statutory certification to undertake the work? e.g. Gas Safe, IPAF, PASMA

Work activities requiring certification will include but not be limited to:


Gas work (Gas Safe)                                      Electrical work (18th ed, NICEIC, ECA)

Refrigerant gases (REFCOM, F-Gas)           Mobile work platforms (IPAF)

Tower scaffold (PASMA)                              Fuel Oil Systems (OFTEC)

Water treatment (LCA)


3.       Is the contractor/sub-contractor undertaking high risk work that is subject to a Permit to Work? e.g., confined spaces, hot work

High risk work requiring permit to work includes work in confined spaces, hot work (welding, soldering, brazing), prolonged working in sub-zero temperatures, electrical works, excavation work, works on pressure systems, and working on roofs.


4.       Is the contractor/sub-contractor undertaking construction work that is notifiable under CDM 2015?

Construction work is notifiable under CDM 2015 if it is scheduled to last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 working on site simultaneously or scheduled to exceed 500 person days.



Medium Risk Supplier:


A non-technical contractor who visits site/s to perform a service e.g., FM Soft Services.


It is a requirement to be registered on a SSIP scheme accreditation.


Minimum £5 million Public Liability Insurance required.


Low Risk Supplier:


Provision of a knowledge-based service or supplier of a product to site/s but do not come onto site/s other than delivery e.g. Other, Chemicals, Disposables, FF&E, Finance, Heavy Catering Equipment, Laundry, Uniforms, Light Catering Equipment, Office Equipment, Telecoms, Vehicles, Vending, Logistics & Mail Services, Event Hire Equipment, Non-Catering Equipment.


It is not a requirement to be registered to a SSIP scheme accreditation.


Minimum £2 million Public Liability Insurance required.


N/A Supplier:


See list below of categories considered out of scope and therefore no Vendor Assurance contact. Managed on a local level or by central function e.g., Advertising/ Marketing/ Merchandising, Professional services, Human Resources Services, Media, Stationery & IT Consumables, Training, Travel, Utilities, Clients.


It is not a requirement to be registered to a SSIP scheme accreditation.




In addition to the suppliers who are listed as N/A and therefore out of scope there is a small list of other suppliers who would not be required to go through the Compass group UK SES approval process:


  • Client payments.
  • Direct payment to individual chefs working for Compass Group UK and Ireland.
  • Finance – Bank charges, credit cards, finance leasing agreements, financial services.
  • Suppliers based in Republic of Ireland.
  • Food contact packaging supplier – these are assessed as food suppliers.


Please note suppliers supplying both vending machines and the food & drinks items for the vending machines are also required to go through the Compass Group UK and Ireland supplier approval procedure for food suppliers.